Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bread is on the rise



"Man cannot live on bread alone..."
Too bad the Safeway Bakery doesn't know that!
As a recently hired Bakers' Helper, I've been shocked at the amount of bread people eat.
I usually work a 6 - 1 shift. From 6-8/9, I'm deep-frying and icing donuts. Next, 9-10:30 is setting up frozen donuts and bagels for the next day. After a half hour break, I slice, package, and bag bread and buns until 1!
I never realized how many different kinds of bread and buns there are. Parisian Baguettes, Mountain Grain, 7 Grain, 12 Grain, Hotbread, Jalapeno and Cheddar Focaccia... and all of it sells every day! One of the funniest things I've encountered is with the French Bread. The mixer makes a large batch of French Dough, and from that it gets made into Kaiser Buns, Parisian Baguettes, French Baguettes, French Bread, and more. So the only difference in those products is the shape and size!
Granted, there are lots of people in the Aldergrove area, but how many of them are allergic to Gluten, or just don't like bread? I remember the good old days, there was White bread, and there was Brown bread. Now we've got 18 million Grain bread, and bread without flour. Who knew that was possible? Well, I guess if the kneed arises...
 

No comments: